When you think of Listerine, you probably think it’s for freshening your breath and killing bacteria in your mouth. However, life hackers everywhere have found many more uses for this liquid hygiene product than just swishing it in their mouths.
1. Foot Soak. Zabrena, a fashion, hair and makeup enthusiast, shares a recipe for a Listerine foot soak to slough off dead skin cells. Combine 3 cups of warm water, 1/2 cup white vinegar, and 1/2 cup Listerine. After soaking your feet for 10 minutes, you should see dead skin coming off your feet.
2. Disinfectant. Since Listerine was developed as a disinfectant for surgical bays and wounds, dabbing it around the site of new piercings can help keep them from becoming infected.
3. Hair treatment. If dandruff is a problem, Mommysavers recommends “massaging mouthwash into your scalp” and then washing like normal with shampoo. If you’re battling lice, thoroughly wet your hair in Listerine. Place a shower cap on it and let your hair sit for 2 hours. Then wash it like normal.
4. Itchy skin soother. Mommysavers also recommends dabbing Listerine on areas that itch due to bug bites, psoriasis or an allergic reaction.
5. Bathroom cleaner. No one likes a smelly bathroom, so you can sanitize your toilet and freshen the air at the same time. The Indian Spot recommends dumping 1/2 cup of Listerine into your toilet bowl. Scrub the bowl with the brush and allow the Listerine to sit in the toilet bowl for 30 minutes. After the time is up, feel free to flush the toilet. The toilet will be clean and smell good, too. The Krazy Coupon Lady points out that you can also use a spray bottle filled with half water and half Listerine to remove mold from the shower.
6. Gum number. If you have a toothache, The Indian Spot recommends putting a little bit of Listerine on the gum of the tooth that is bothering you. Supposedly, it numbs the area.
7. Bruise healer. According to Modern Mechanix, an article printed back in 1930 claims that Listerine removes swelling and encourages healing when placed directly on a wound, scratch or bruise. The Indian Spot claims the bruise diminishes noticeably after 24 hours.
8. Washing machine cleaner. Washing machines, after a lot of use, can develop a musty odor. Both Mommysavers and The Indian Spot recommend adding 1 cup of Listerine to a load of wash. The laundry will be clean as well as the washing machine.
With over 130 years of history, Listerine has gone from being a surgical disinfectant to a dental disinfectant to a mouth freshener. After 130 years, the mouth wash has developed even more uses than its inventors could have ever imagined, and more are probably still to be found.
If you know someone who might like this, please click “Share!”