- 280g butter, softened
- 280g golden caster sugar
- 200g self-raising flour, minus 1 rounded tbsp
- 1 rounded tbsp cocoa powder
- 6 medium eggs
For icing and decoration
- 200g butter, softened
- 280g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tube orange ready-to-use icing
- 1 small bag Maltesers
- 1 tube choco M&Ms minis (use just the brown sweets) or Cadbury’s mini buttons
- 1 tub jelly diamonds (just the orange ones)
1. Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with brown muffin cases. Beat the first 5 ingredients to a smooth batter and spoon between the cases, almost filling them to the top. You may have a little left over. Bake for 20-25 mins until risen and spongy. Cool on a rack.
2. Beat the butter and icing sugar until smooth. Slice off the very tops of the cakes and cut each piece in half. Spread a generous layer of icing over each cake.
3. Working on one cake at a time, squirt a pea-sized blob of orange icing onto two Maltesers and use to fix a brown M&M on each. Sit the eyes, two pieces of cake top (curved edge up) and a jelly diamond on the icing to make an owl.
If you know someone who might like this, please click “Share!”