Even though medical experts cannot still specify the reason why some people become left-handed, research has found a complex link between our genes and the environment.
Of course, experts did not discover any set of “lefty-genes”, but they noticed that the number of left-handed members is higher in the family of a left-handed person.
Additionally, they have found that the writings in the brain are different in left-handed and right-handed people. Since lefties spend their entire life adapting to the right-handed world, they are more independent.
This article reveals 24 fun facts about left-handed people you probably weren’t aware of:
- The word “left” is of Anglo-Saxon origin, from the word “lyft” which meant- broken or weak.
- In most cases- left-handed people use the right brain side.
- 5 to 10 percent of the world population is left-handed.
- They are good at sports, like swimming, boxing, tennis, baseball, etc.
- They can adjust to see underwater more easily than right-handers.
- 6. More than 40 percent of the top world tennis players are left-handed.
- They usually reach puberty later, that is, even 5 months after right-handed people.
- According to statistics, left-handed college graduates are expected to become 26 percent richer than their right-handed colleagues.
- They have an increased risk of 3% to become alcoholics.
- Out of 7, four of the United States are left-handed.
- In animals, like cats, mice, and rats, the percentage of left and right pawedness is equally split.
- The longest words which can be typed with just the left hand with a conventional hand positioning are sweater, dresses, and tesserae decades.
- 1 Apollo astronaut, out of 4, was left-handed.
- One study showed that left-handers differently process emotions than right-handers, and they get angry faster.
- Studies show that lefties are more talented in math, architecture, and spatial awareness, while righties have more developed verbal skills.
- August 13th is the Left-Handers Day.
- Previously, this was believed to be a bad thing, often linked to nasty habits, rebellion, neurosis, a mark of the devil, homosexuality, and criminality. Yet, it was also considered to be a mark of creativity and musical skills.
- They have an increased risk of insomnia.
- According to statistics, there are more than 30 million left-handed people in America.
- Women pregnant in their 40s have a 128% higher chance of giving birth to a left-handed child, compared to pregnant women in their 20s.
- Some of the most vicious and wanted killers in human history were left-handed: Jack the Ripper, The Boston Strangles, and Osama Bin Laden.
- As medical experts found, in the case of an injury to the dominant hand, left-handed individuals learn using the other one more quickly than if this happened to a right-handed person.
- According to a study, left-handed people are more susceptible to allergies and asthma than right-handed ones.
- This trait runs in the family. For instance, the members of the British Royal Family, Prince William, Queen Elizabeth II, Queen Mother, and Prince Charles are British Royal Family members are all left-handed.
If you know someone who might like this, please click “Share”!