We’ve all had restless nights of staring at the ceiling waiting ever so impatiently to fall asleep. According to Consumer Reports, more than 25% of Americans say they have trouble either going to sleep or staying asleep most nights, and 68% of adults have problems sleeping at least once a week.
Many people resort to sleeping pills, an effective remedy every now and again, but can lead to long term dependence issues. Additionally, your body’s tolerance to sleeping pills builds rapidly and often times results in users taking more than they should just to dose off.
For those with clinical insomnia, medical attention may be required to properly diagnose and treat your condition. For those of us who just have a hard time sleeping every once in awhile, there are several all natural remedies out there that’ll put you to sleep in no time!
Here’s a great recipe that is not only effective (for most people, it works in just minutes), but tastes amazing as well!
All Natural Sleep Aid
What you need:
- 6 ounces of organic, hormone-free milk
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 drop pure vanilla extract
- Heat milk in saucepan. Remove from heat before it boils and pour into room temp glass.
- Add 1 drop of vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon honey.
The effectiveness of this drink as a sleep aid is due the ingredients. All of which promote relaxation and healthy sleep patterns, guiding the body into sleep mode. Here’s how:
- Milk – Foods high in protein, such as milk, contain tryptophan, and amino acids stimulate the production of serotonin and melatonin, thus yielding mild sedative effects.
- Honey – Promotes the production of the compound glycogen, which is essential for a proper function of the liver while we rest. As its levels get reduced during the day, it might trigger the brain to wake and cause cravings for glycogen-containing foods during the night. Honey also stimulates a chemical reaction which improves the release of melatonin in the brain.
- Pure Vanilla Extract – Vanilla aroma relaxes the mind. According to a recent French study found that the exposure to vanilla on the very first day reduces the episodes of sleep apnea by 36%.
If you’re having a tough time sleeping, give this quick and easy recipe a shot.
If you know someone who might like this, please click “Share!”