A ‘Magnetic Putty’ toy for children has been pulled from shelves after it was found to contain seven times the legal limit of the poison arsenic.
The slime toy was being sold on a market stall in Northamptonshire but has now been seized by Trading Standards.
The product, labeled Magnetic Putty, contained a bag of putty and a small cube magnet that children can mold into any shape they want.
Tests carried out by Northamptonshire Trading Standards showed it contained seven times the legal amount of arsenic, which can kill rapidly, leading to fears a child could be poisoned if they ate it by accident.
Results also revealed the product was 29 times over the permitted magnetic force had and twice the amount of lead allowed.
Experts said it could be ‘easily swallowed’, following the swoop.
It was labeled as not suitable for 0-3 years but did not include a CE kite mark to show it complied with the UK safety requirement for toys.
There was also no identification of the manufacturer or importer.
Northamptonshire Trading Standards Service said today ‘The lack of these details indicates that a proper safety assessment of the toy may not have been made and makes tracing and removal of the product from sale slower and more difficult.’
The team said it was just this specific product that had been removed, rather than all magnetic putties.
If you know someone who might like this, please click “Share!”